Easy Baked Mac and Cheese with Potato Chip Topping can be served as a meal or a side dish.
This creamy macaroni and cheese is loaded with cheddar cheese, mozzarella and cream cheese, and topped with rippled potato chips and French’s fried onions.
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you don’t miss out on any important tips and tricks!
To make this homemade mac and cheese, I started by pouring some heavy cream into a large saucepan on the stove and bringing it to a boil.
Then I added some uncooked macaroni noodles to the pot, stirred them well and reduced the heat to medium.
I cooked the macaroni noodles for three minutes, stirring them occasionally.
After three minutes I added some cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to the pot.
I stirred all of the ingredients together until the cream cheese and butter were completely melted.
Then I removed the pot from the heat and added some shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
I stirred the shredded cheese into the pasta mixture and then set the pot aside while I prepared the topping.
To prepare the potato chip topping, I started by placing some ruffled potato chips in a large Ziploc bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.
I poured the crushed potato chips into a mixing bowl along with some French’s fried onions and melted butter.
Then I combined the ingredients with a fork.
I stirred the macaroni and cheese mixture one last time and then poured it into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
I spread the pasta out evenly and then sprinkled some shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
Then I sprinkled the crushed potato chip mixture on top of the cheese.
I placed the dish in the oven and cooked it for about 15 minutes just to melt the mozzarella and crisp up the topping a bit.
This homemade baked macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food dish.
Easy Baked Mac and Cheese with Potato Chip Topping would be a perfect Thanksgiving side dish or to take along to a potluck.
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 oz Ruffles potato chips
- 1 cup French's fried onions
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Pour heavy cream into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the cream starts to boil, add the macaroni noodles to the pot, stir well and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook the macaroni noodles for three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After three minutes, add the cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to the pot.
- Stir until the butter and cream cheese are completely melted. Then remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the shredded cheddar and mozzarella to the pot and stir well. Set aside.
- Place the potato chips in a large Ziploc bag and crush with rolling pin.
- Pour the crushed chips into a mixing bowl along with the fried onions and melted butter.
- Combine the ingredients with a fork.
- Stir the macaroni and cheese really well and then pour it into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the macaroni.
- Sprinkle the potato chip mixture on top of the mozzarella.
- Place in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes to melt the mozzarella and crisp up the topping.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe serves 6-8 people as a main dish or 12 people as a side dish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1158
This post contains affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.