Salisbury Steak Casserole is an easy casserole loaded with ground beef, onions, gravy and mushrooms all topped with creamy mashed potatoes.
Salisbury Steak Casserole is an easy ground beef dinner recipe perfect for weeknights.
This hearty casserole is loaded with ground beef, mushroom and onions in a creamy mushroom gravy and topped with instant mashed potatoes.
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you don’t miss out on any important tips and tricks!
This ground beef and mashed potato casserole serves 6 people and takes less than an hour from start to finish.
To make this casserole, I started by cooking some ground beef in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
I stirred well and continued cooking the mixture until the onions were translucent.
Then I drained the liquid from the pan.
I stirred everything together until all of the meat was coated in sauce.
Then I poured the meat mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan and spread it out evenly.
I stirred gently and then left the potato mixture to sit for a minute.
After a minute I stirred the mashed potatoes again and then spread them on top of the meat mixture in the baking dish.
I placed the dish in the oven and baked the casserole until the potatoes were just starting to brown around the edges.
Then I removed the dish from the oven and allowed it to rest for a couple minutes before slicing and serving.
This Salisbury steak casserole is a fun change from classic shepherd’s pie.
This hearty casserole, dripping with creamy mushroom gravy, is the perfect comfort food.
If you are looking for a delicious new ground beef dinner idea, then you need to try this Salisbury Steak Casserole!
You could also try this recipe with ground turkey or ground chicken for a lighter version.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook ground beef in a large saucepan over medium high heat with a dab of butter.
- Once the ground beef is fully cooked, add the diced mushrooms and onions to the pan.
- Continue cooking until the onions are translucent.
- Drain the liquid from the pan.
- Add the gravy mix and cream of mushroom soup to the pan and stir until all of the meat is coated.
- Dump the meat mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Dump the water and butter into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once the liquid is boiling, immediately remove the pan from the heat and add the milk and mashed potato mix.
- Stir gently and then leave to sit for one minute.
- After one minute stir the potatoes again and then spread them on top of the meat mixture in the baking dish.
- Place the dish in the oven and baked the casserole until the potatoes are starting to brown around the edges.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
This post contains affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.