These Waffled Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are the perfect lunch or easy dinner recipe.
Everyone loves grilled cheese and this waffled version is a fun twist on the classic sandwich.
I was watching an episode of Food Truck Race the other night and one of the teams was serving waffled grilled cheese.
I thought it looked really cool so I decided to give it a try myself.
I used Havarti and added corned beef and fried onions to make this a more grown up meal.
The grilled cheese cooked in the waffle maker was definitely crispier than one cooked in a pan so this is a great option if you’re like me and like your bread a little crunchier.
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you don’t miss out on any important tips and tricks!
I started by heating up my waffle maker and frying up some diced onions in a pan on the stove.
Once the onions were well cooked I tossed the sliced corn beef into the pan just to heat it up.
I spread all of my slices of bread with garlic butter and then assembled my sandwiches.
I sprayed my waffle maker with cooking spray before placing the sandwiches inside.
My waffle maker is small so I was only able to cook two sandwiches at a time.
I was very careful not press down the top plate of the waffle maker because I did not want to completely smush my sandwiches.
Cooking time might vary slightly for different waffle makers but I cooked my sandwiches for approximately five minutes and they came out perfectly.
Try these Waffled Grilled Cheese Sandwiches the next time you are looking for a fun and easy lunch or dinner recipe.
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup Spanish onion, diced
- 3.5 oz sliced corned beef
- 8 slices bread
- 8 slices Havarti cheese
- Plug in your waffle maker and let it start heating up.
- Dice your onion and fry it in a saucepan with a small amount of butter or margarine on medium heat.
- While the onions are cooking prepare a garlic butter mixture by combining 1/3 cup butter or margarine with chopped garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Once the onions are starting to brown toss the corned beef in the pan just to heat it up.
- Spread garlic butter on one side of each of your slices of bread. Then turn them all over and place a slice of cheese on each piece of bread.
- Top four of the slices of bread with corned beef and onions and then put all your sandwiches together.
- Spray your waffle maker with cooking spray and then place your sandwiches inside. My waffle maker is small so I was only able to cook two sandwiches at a time. Close the lid of the waffle maker and press down gently just hard enough to make the waffle marks on your sandwich. Do not push the lid down all the way or you will destroy your sandwich.
- Allow your sandwiches to cook this way for about five minutes and then remove them carefully.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517
This post contains affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.