Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole is a hearty side dish recipe perfect for holiday dinners.
This mashed potato casserole is loaded with cheddar cheese, bacon, onions and crushed Ritz crackers.
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you don’t miss out on any important tips and tricks!
To make these loaded mashed potatoes, I started by peeling and washing 5lbs of red potatoes.
Then I placed the potatoes in a large pot, filled it with water and placed it on the stove.
I boiled the potatoes until they broke apart easily with a fork.
Then I drained the water from the mashed potatoes.
I placed the cooked potatoes in a large mixing bowl and used a potato masher to start breaking them apart.
I added some butter and milk to the potatoes and continued mashing until they were nice and smooth.
Then I added some real bacon bits, chopped green onions, shredded cheddar cheese and seasonings to the bowl and stirred them into the mashed potatoes.
I poured the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan and spread it out evenly.
Then I placed some Ritz crackers in a Ziploc bag and used a rolling pin to crush them.
I poured the crushed Ritz crackers into a small mixing bowl with some melted butter and stirred them well.
Then I sprinkled the cracker mixture on top of the mashed potatoes.
I sprinkled some cheddar cheese, green onions, and bacon bits over the Ritz crackers.
Then I placed the dish in the oven and cooked it until the cheese was fully melted and just starting to brown.
After removing the mashed potato casserole from the oven, I allowed it to sit for a few minutes before serving.
These loaded mashed potatoes are packed with flavour.
The Best Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole would be the perfect Thanksgiving side dish recipe.
- 5 lbs red potatoes, peeled, washed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 7 oz Ritz crackers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- Place peeled and washed potatoes in a large pot and fill it with water.
- Place the pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Continue boiling until potatoes break apart easily with a fork. About 40 minutes.
- Drain the water from the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Pour cooked and drained potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
- Use a potato masher to break potatoes apart.
- Add the butter and milk to the bowl and continue mashing the potatoes until smooth.
- Add the bacon bits, green onions, cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder to the bowl. Stir until all of the ingredients are fully combined with the mashed potatoes.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Place the Ritz crackers in a large Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Pour the crushed crackers into a small mixing along with the melted butter. Stir well.
- Sprinkle the cracker mixture over the mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the cracker mixture, followed by the green onions and bacon bits.
- Place the dish in the oven and cook until the cheese is fully melted and just starting to brown. 23-25 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, allow the casserole to sit for a few minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 471
This post contains affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.