This Budget Friendly Beef Wellington is an easy dinner recipe that’s sure to impress.
This recipe serves two people and takes less than an hour from start to finish.
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you don’t miss out on any important tips and tricks!
I wanted to celebrate the end of a long week and the beginning of the weekend with a nice meal but didn’t feel like spending a ton of time in the kitchen.
I decided to experiment with this twist on Beef Wellington using some Black River Angus Steaks from Walmart that I already had on hand.
They are much more budget friendly then the filet that is traditionally used for Wellington.
I started by searing my steaks in a hot frying pan.
You just want to get some nice colour on the outside not actually cook the steaks through as they will continue cooking in the oven.
The steaks were then set aside and I fried up some mushrooms and onions in the pan.
Then I took one sheet of store bought puff pastry and cut it in half.
I placed a slice of Havarti cheese in the center of each piece of puff pastry and topped that with the fried mushrooms and onions.
I placed the steaks on top of the mushrooms and onions and then folded the sides of the puff pastry up over the steaks.
I pressed down on the seams to seal it well.
The Wellingtons were baked seam sides down on a greased baking sheet for about forty minutes until the puff pastry was golden brown.
This recipe takes very little prep time and leaves you with a very impressive result.
Try these Budget Friendly Beef Wellingtons the next time you are looking for an easy dinner idea.
If you are looking for more easy dinner recipes check out Loaded Potato Meatloaf Casserole, Cajun Chicken and Biscuits Casserole, Cheeseburger Casserole and Chinese Take-Out Style Chicken and Ramen.
⇒ Click Here And Follow Me On Pinterest ⇐
Budget Friendly Beef Wellington
Budget Friendly Beef Wellington is an easy dinner recipe that won't blow your budget. This simple beef dish is made using frozen steaks from Walmart and store bought puff pastry.
- 2 4oz crossrib steaks
- 2 tsp steak spice
- 1 cup Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 oz Havarti cheese, sliced or grated
- 1 sheet pre-made puff pastry
- Heat a medium sized pan on med-high and pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Season steaks with steak spice.
- Once pan is hot add some butter or margarine and cook steaks for about a minute on each side. You just want to get a nice sear on the outside of the steak, not cook it all the way through.
- Set steaks aside on a plate and add the onions and mushrooms to the pan with a little more butter or margarine. Cook until nice and brown.
- Cut your sheet of puff pastry in half and in the middle of each sheet place cheese and the mushrooms and onions. Then place the steaks on top.
- Fold over all the sides of the pastry and press on the seams to seal.
- Turn over and place in a greased baking pan with the seams down.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes before cutting and serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 595Trans Fat: 0g
This post contains affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.