Broccoli Cheese Soup with Chicken is the perfect fall lunch or easy dinner recipe.
The cold weather is starting to creep back in and that means it’s time for one of my favourite foods.
I love pretty much ever kind of soup there is but broccoli cheese is one my favourites.
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you don’t miss out on any important tips and tricks!
For this Broccoli Cheese Soup with Chicken I started by cooking some diced onions in butter in a large pot.
I stirred in some flour and allowed it to cook, stirring occasionally.
Then I poured in some milk and water, stirring well.
At this point I dumped in some herb and garlic cream cheese and then increased the heat.
I used a fork to break apart some canned chicken and added it to the soup.
I know broccoli cheese soup doesn’t normally have chicken but I love chicken in soup.
I added broccoli florets and chicken soup base and then left the soup to cook for about fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally.
I removed the soup from the heat and stirred in three cups of grated cheddar cheese.
I used mild cheddar but you could use a stronger cheese if you prefer.
I left the soup to cool for about five minutes before serving.
This delicious broccoli cheddar soup is perfect for warming you up on a cold day.
This soup can be thrown together in about thirty minutes and will serve four as a meal or up to eight as a side.
If you are looking for more soup recipes perfect for fall check out Sweet Potato Chicken and Bacon Soup.
If you are looking for some amazing sandwiches to serve with your soup check out Bacon and Banana Peppers Grilled Cheese, Everything Bagel Grilled Cheese, Waffled Grilled Cheese and Monte Cristo Sandwich on a French Toast Bagel.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz Philadelphia Herb and Garlic Cream Cheese
- 12.5 oz canned chicken
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp powdered chicken soup base
- 3 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add butter and onions to a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook for a few minutes and then stir in the flour.
- Continue cooking until flour starts to brown slightly.
- Pour milk into the pot and stir well.
- Add water and cream cheese.
- Increase heat to medium-high and stir until no large chunks of cream cheese remain.
- Use a fork to break apart the canned chicken and add it to the soup.
- Add the broccoli and the soup base.
- Allow to cook over medium-high for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese, salt and pepper.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 755
This post contains affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.