This Sweet Potato Chicken and Bacon Soup is a great lunch or dinner recipe.
It is super easy to make and the perfect way to use up leftover chicken.
You could also use leftover turkey with this recipe.
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you don’t miss out on any important tips and tricks!
I made roasted chicken for dinner last night and today I was looking for a way to use up the leftovers.
I always have sweet potatoes on hand and they are my go to when I feel like making soup.
I started by boiling the peeled sweet potatoes in a pot of water with some chicken stock.
While the potatoes were cooking I microwaved the bacon until it was nice and crispy.
I prefer to cook my bacon in the microwave because it is much faster then the oven.
Once the bacon was cooked I poured the grease from the dish it was cooked on into the potato pot to add extra flavour and I chopped up the bacon.
When I was able to break the potatoes apart easily with a spoon I reduced the heated and mashed the potatoes with a potato masher until there were no large chunks remaining.
Then I added the bacon, leeks and seasonings and stirred well. I also added an extra cup of water at this point because I found my soup a bit too thick.
I left the soup to simmer for fifteen minutes so that the leeks could cook.
While the soup was simmering I threw some Pillsbury biscuits in the oven to make the a complete comforting winter meal.
I love Pillsbury biscuits and pretty much always have some on hand.
This is a hearty soup that can be enjoyed anytime of the year but is especially good during cold weather months.
Try out this recipe the next time you are looking for an easy way to use up that leftover chicken or turkey!
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 9 cups water
- 2 tbsp chicken soup base
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup chicken, cooked, shredded
- 2 cups leeks, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground sage
- Pour 8 cups of water into a large pot and place on burner at medium-high.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes and add them to the pot along with the chicken base.
- Cook until potatoes break apart easily, about 45 minutes.
- While potatoes are boiling cook bacon on a plate in the microwave until crispy ( about 8 minutes on High).
- Pour grease from bacon plate into the potato pot and chop up the bacon.
- Once potatoes are breaking apart easily reduce heat to medium and mash them up with a potato masher until your soup has a nice smooth consistency.
- Add the chicken, bacon, leeks, salt, pepper, sage and onion powder to the soup and stir well.
- Add a cup of water and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 972mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 16g
This post contains affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.